Mondays are never fun. You’ve had a nice weekend, maybe you went out with friends or indulged in your favourite hobbies. Maybe you just slept late and chilled out and enjoyed not having to do anything much. Now Monday has rolled around and it’s going to ruin everything.
There’s not a whole lot I can do about Monday happening. Trust me, if I could get rid of it I would have done that a long time ago. However, I can make it suck a bit less. I just need to convince you to use a small part of your nice weekend to get everything set up for a better Monday. Think you’re up to it? Here we go:
- Do a couple of loads of laundry. Sort, wash, dry, iron (I don’t think I’ve ironed anything since 2007 but I know some of you need to iron stuff) fold and put away.
- Go through your bag: Throw out old receipts and other junk you don’t need any more. Find everything you’re going to need for Monday morning and put it in your bag. Leave the bag in a convenient location so you don’t need to search for it later
- Make a quick inventory of your kitchen cupboards, fridge and freezer. Go out and get anything that’s missing or running low. Plan Monday’s meals, especially breakfast, if you have time and you’re feel motivated with all this organisation, do a quick bit of meal prep: just chop veggies for dinner and put them in Tupperware in the fridge to save yourself a few minutes later.
- Tidy up a bit. Pick things up that have been getting in the way. Sort things out that have been bothering you
- Run yourself a bath and enjoy a long soak. This is your reward for being so organised and will give you the chance to relax after all your hard work. Well done
Ok so far? You’re pretty much all set up for Monday being just a little bit easier. Lets take this even further, shall we? Here’s what I want you to do on Sunday night, probably about an hour before you usually start to get ready to go to bed:
- Set your alarm for the morning
- Put your devices on charge
- Check the weather forecast for Monday morning
- Pick out an outfit for yourself
- Find your bag that you set up earlier. Check your keys are in it. Check everything else that should be there is there
- If you take lunch to work make it now and put it in the fridge
- Write a note that says “Don’t forget lunch!” and stick it to your bag
- Go to bed. Yes, even if it is half an hour early. You’ll thank me in the morning
You got this. Monday is going to be soooooo easy. Actually, since you tidied up and did laundry and sorted a bunch of stuff out, the whole week will probably be easier, but the important day is Monday. Monday’s suck.