Yes, I know I’m a bit late with this. September kind of ran away with me, I’m afraid, so I’ve not been anywhere near as organised as I usually am. Anyway, nevermind. As usual, I’m looking back on the month now to see what new things I tried. Here’s my list:
- Oktoberfest! Despite the name, Oktoberfest happens in September in Munich and, since it was my friend’s 30th, we went over to celebrate and drink a lot of German beer. I even dressed up.
- Attending Conferences as a non-academic. I went to plenty of conferences during my PhD but now I’ve left academia it turns out that I haven’t totally left this kind of event behind. This month I went to Venturefest in Glasgow and to an event in Edinburgh called Essential Ingredients for Starting Up a Successful Start-Up in Edinburgh. Eeesh. They need a snappier title. Both were good, though and it was an interesting change of pace compared to what I’m used to.
- Visiting West Kilbride. We went here for P’s cousin’s wedding and stayed the night in this lovely little village, in a B&B overlooking the Firth of Clyde. On a clear day, you can see straight across to Arran.
- Airbnb. I’ve seriously never done this before although I’ve always meant to. When we went to Munich for Oktoberfest getting a hotel would have been impossibly expensive. Airbnb came to the rescue and our little apartment was ideal – I’d definitely consider doing this again.
- Seeing Stenhousemuir win. Ok, this is a bit of a cheat, since I have seen Stenhousemuir play before, but last time I saw them they lost and this time they won. On balance, I prefer when they win.
That’s it for September! What new things have you been trying in the last month? Anything you recommend?