I still find it weird to write 2018 instead of 2017. I guess that’s going to last a while.
Anyway, as usual I’m doing a quick roundup of some new things I tried this month. It feels like January has been kind of non-stop, which isn’t great because December was too and, honestly, I need a rest. When I don’t have a few days to just chill I find my chores pile up and I don’t get everything done that I want to do, including blogging, which is why it’s been so quiet around here lately.
Never mind though, next weekend I get to go down to Leeds where I hope to chill as hard as I can, and then a few weeks after that we have a short break in Aviemore where I hope to snowboard but also chill. I’ll get everything back on an even keel soon enough.
In the meantime, let’s see what I’ve been up to, shall we?
1. Nira Caledonia! We’ve been wanting to spend an evening in this hotel (or more specifically, in a hot tub in a room in this hotel) for a fair while now. Since it was our anniversary earlier this month we decided to treat ourselves and we had a brilliant time.
2. Reading in Heels! This is my new subscription box that sends me a paperback book and a selection of treats every month. I love it and I really enjoyed the first book, Birds Art Life Death. The only treat they sent that I haven’t used yet is the notebook because it’s too pretty and I’m not ready to wreck it by writing in it yet. I cannot wait to see what they’re going to send me in January.
3. Monzo! I mentioned that I’m trying to get rid of my overdraft (I’m doing ok so far) and someone had recently said they were trying Monzo to help them save money. They send you a card which you load up and then use like you would a normal debit card, then every time you make a purchase you get an alert from their app to let you know how much you’ve spent. You can easily monitor what you’re spending on and how much you have left, plus you can freeze and unfreeze the card directly from your phone. I’ve not used it much yet, but so far, so good.
4. Pilates! I’ve now been to pilates twice at Diane Inglis Studios in Falkirk and so far I really like it. It’s pretty heavy going on my core, which I clearly need but doesn’t leave me out of breath. There’s hope for me yet! Plus, they run a barre class immediately after the pilates class, so I might give that a go soon.
5. Kindle Fire! P got me this for my birthday and so far I love it but I’ve not had much chance to use it yet. It’s definitely not allowed out of the house until the cover I ordered for it arrives, but then I hope to use it for web browsing, gaming, and watching TV and lectures.
Phew! No wonder I’ve not had much time to post! How has everyone else’s January been? Have you been trying anything new and exciting?
5 thoughts on “New things I tried in January 2018”
I’m a BIG Monzo fan! I’ve been using them for a year and half now and loving it. I’m a big fan of what the challenger banks are doing and it’s about time we got such easy access to our money, spending reports and easy to use tools to help with our spending!!
LikeLiked by 2 people
Honestly, it’s the in-app freezing and unfreezing that sold me on it, but I’m liking the other features now that I have it 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m pretty stuck this month. It’s somewhat scraping the barrel, but I did go and see a play I’ve not seen before (Strangers on a Train, which I went to with a pal whose company I always enjoy 🙂 ).
LikeLiked by 2 people
didnt know about monzo